Jackie's Journey to Julia

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Sunday afternoon 7/30 in Chengdu

We have had quite a great day or two here. Julia is settling in and it has allowed us to go and do a few of the things in the area that we wanted to. She is still most set on James and has a name she yells for him. She will also freely go to Jacob and is still telling me that if there is a better deal I wont do but if I am all there is -- that is fine. She is playing with me now though and points to me when asked where her mama is. She has let me feed her and kiss her and lots of things along those lines. She tries to tickle me but it comes out as a pinch that about rips your limbs off. :) Oh well....

Yesterday I met up with Kathleen that I met at the Opera the night before. After our Morning shopping we met up later in the afternoon and went to a local tea house that had massages. We had a full foot/reflexology massage and then a body massage that was amazing. My back is still struggling after my car accident this last spring and it felt fabulous. We then collected kids and go taxis and went to a street that has been renovated to appear like an old market street for dinner. We had traditional sichuan food served Dim Sum style in a fabulous restaurant. We ate with Kathleen and her daughter and former exchange student as well as our guide Sandy. My cost for dinner for four? $19 US. Amazing....

We then went to a Tibeten Jewelry store. All of us felt that it could easily have been native american rather than tibeten. The similarities were incredible. I could have gotten beautiful turquoise and coral large pendents set in silver for 30-50 US. If anyone is dying for something -- let me know by Sunday afternoon and I will make a quick trip over for something.

Today was the Pearl market -- I got wonderful things for many people who asked for items. I could have spent a TON of money -- instead I spent a TON of everyone elses! :)

While were were there the ladies were so taken with Julia that they gave her an inexpensive strand -- $15 and a matching bracelet. She wore them around like she was a queen and immediately wanted to look in the mirror. It is obvious that this chicky has a sense of style! I got Joy earrings -- she wanted Earrings from China and yesterday she and Grammy went and got her ears pierced so that she could wear them. For the record -- I must be nicer than my mother who made me wait until I was 12 to pierce my ears and then decides that is is perfectly fine for my not yet 6 year old daughter to get hers done. :) I am teasing Mom -- I think that we all soften a bit as years pass and realize that of all the things my daughter wants to pierce -- ears are the least of my worries! :)

After my pearl adventures we headed to the Buddist Temple.... but that is for a different post.

Jackie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home