Jackie's Journey to Julia

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Medical visit and a great break through


This morning we had our medical visit for Julia's Visa. It is not a medical exam like anything we would ever see here. They looked in her eyes. They weighed her. They asked me if she had a cleft palette. She was weighed, measured, and then the hearing test -- lets take a screaming baby and shake rattles on both side of her head and see if she responds. When all she does is yell -- ask the mother if she hears.

We had James with assistance for Jacob hold Julia through the process - sorry James! Then -- Mom was the one to rescue Julia when it was all done and walk her out of the medical office. As a result, Mom became the liberator -- not the captor. I was able to hold her and walk around most of the day. She was still glad to see the brothers but she also toted around sitting on my hip pack and looking at the sites. She hummed and sang and chattered contentedly with no tears the whole time. When we got back and she napped -- the boys later went to the pool and I stayed with Julia. She woke up from her nap and for the first time since she arrived she woke up, layed there and looked around and then wanted me to come over and snuggle, kiss and play with her on the bed. Julia and I spent the next hour hanging out, eating graham crackers and waiting for the boys. She was DELIGHTED to see then when they arrived, but her contentedness with me was really a breath of fresh air. She even asked me to give her a kiss... Now if that does not warm the heart, I dont know what does.

I feel like by the time we arrive home, we will be well on the way to a good, solid foundation of bonding, love and acceptance. That does not mean that we will not need to revisit the subject many times -- call it spiraling curriculum. :) I will get to spend some time when I get home reminding Joy that I love her always and that her position does not change -- ever -- even with a new sister.. But to reach a place with Julia that I feel that yes, she knows I am the mama and she LIKES me is a wonderful spot. Sigh of relief.

Tomorrow Bob our guide will attend out consulate appointment and then we will do a little more shopping. Friday we will finish up our shopping and then head home Friday night. I am enjoying Guangzhou but I will welcome a night in my bed with my girls there. Tonight we are hanging out -- we ordered out to this great American food delivery place. We are watching Superman Returns on DVD (purchased today) and enjoying some snuggle time. The boys figured out how to hook up Kelly's portable DVD player to the TV so that we could watch together. We might go for a walk after dinner and see whatever we run across.

All in all -- a full and good day here in Guangzhou.

Jackie

1 Comments:

  • great news! Sounds like you are finally part of the "pack" Jack. LOL I think it is wonderful that Julia has taken so to the boys. I can only imagine the chaos we will all share in once she and Joy meet. Two sisters indeed! I am so excited to meet Julia. She will blend into the mix we all have....together!

    Be safe and know we are all anxiously awaiting the return of all of you! Hugs! Leslie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home